Manhattan Paternity Attorney
Establishing Your Parental Rights in New York
At the Law Office of Patricia M. Machado, P.C., our dedicated Manhattan attorneys understand the devastating impacts that family law disputes can have, especially those involving young children or a history of domestic violence. Issues like child support and child custody can be stressful and contentious areas of family court proceedings, making it all the more important for Manhattan families to know and exercise their parental rights as needed.
In many cases, establishing paternity can be an essential and beneficial part of the process. Whether preparing for a New York divorce or having a biological child with an unmarried partner, our compassionate family lawyers have the in-depth knowledge and diverse skillset to protect your rights and restore your family's safety and well-being. Call (646) 355-1560 to speak with a trusted paternity lawyer.
Family law disputes can take a heavy emotional toll on families. Contact us online to discuss your case with a skilled paternity lawyer in Manhattan.
Understanding Paternity Rights in New York
In Manhattan, paternity is the legal recognition of a man as the biological father of a child. It serves to establish the father’s legal responsibilities and custodial rights when it comes to visitation, parenting plans, child support, and other key aspects of parental rights in family court.
How Is Paternity Determined?
In New York, paternity can be established through various means, including:
- Voluntary Acknowledgment – Parents can sign a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity at the hospital or at a later time. This document legally establishes the father's relationship with the child.
- Genetic Testing – In cases where paternity is disputed, genetic testing can be conducted to determine biological parentage. This involves comparing DNA samples from the child, the alleged father, and sometimes the mother.
- Court Order – If paternity is contested or not acknowledged, either parent can petition the court to establish paternity. The court may order genetic testing and make a determination based on the results.
Benefits of Establishing Paternity
Paternity is essential for many reasons, as paternity rights can play a significant role in court. Establishing parental rights in family proceedings can offer numerous benefits for involved parties, such as:
- Legal Rights and Responsibilities: When paternity is established, the father gains legal rights and responsibilities towards the child. This includes the right to make decisions regarding the child's upbringing, education, healthcare, and visitation rights.
- Emotional Connection: Establishing paternity provides a sense of identity and emotional connection for both the child and the father. It allows them to develop meaningful relationships and bond with each other.
- Financial Support: Upon establishing paternity, the father becomes responsible for providing financial support for the child. This can include child support payments to ensure the child's well-being, including expenses related to education, healthcare, and basic needs.
- Inheritance and Benefits: A paternity determination may grant the child certain inheritance rights, including access to the father's estate and potential benefits such as social security, insurance, and medical coverage.
- Access to Medical History: Knowing the biological father's identity allows the child to have access to their complete medical history, which can be crucial for medical diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of hereditary conditions.
- Government Assistance: In some cases, establishing paternity can make the child eligible for government benefits, including Social Security, veteran's benefits, and health insurance coverage.
5 Reasons to Hire a Skilled Paternity Lawyer
A seasoned paternity lawyer can guide families through the process of establishing parental rights in New York State. By working with a qualified Manhattan attorney, families can receive invaluable assistance with:
- Legal counsel – A lawyer can guide clients’ steps efficiently and clarify important legal information to ensure parents understand their rights and responsibilities.
- Representation – If a court order is necessary to establish paternity, a lawyer can help build a strong case and represent their client's interests in court.
- Genetic testing assistance – In cases where genetic testing is required, a lawyer can help arrange and interpret the results to present a compelling argument in court.
- Negotiating parenting plans – A seasoned paternity lawyer can help parents negotiate custody arrangements, visitation schedules, and child support agreements that protect the best interests of both the child and the father.
- Enforcement and modifications – In situations where paternity has already been established but additional legal issues arise, a lawyer can assist with enforcing court orders or seeking modifications when necessary.
Establishing paternity is vital for both fathers and children. With the assistance of an experienced paternity lawyer in Manhattan, families can ensure their parental rights are protected and foster healthy relationships between fathers and children.
Turn to a Trusted Manhattan Paternity Lawyer
Our trusted paternity attorneys represent Manhattan parents and families in a variety of disputes. We bring diverse skills and experience to the table to best serve our clients and offer the customized legal solutions they deserve. When you partner with our firm, you can count on receiving reliable representation throughout the duration of your case.
If you’re preparing for family court, experienced representation is a must to achieve a fair outcome. Call (646) 355-1560 to schedule a consultation.