Manhattan Naturalization Lawyer
Guiding You Through Applying for Naturalization
While there are many benefits you can pursue as an alien in the United States, often the option that makes the most sense for someone is to become a U.S. citizen. Through the process of naturalization, you can pursue the ability to become a citizen and have the same rights as individuals born within the country. Because this process can be complicated and mistakes can lead to costly failure, one of the best things you can do is to retain the services of a New York naturalization lawyer as soon as possible.
What Are the Benefits of Naturalization?
Benefits you gain through naturalization include:
- Removing the risk of deportation
- Voting in the United States
- Public benefits, such as Social Security
- Running for office
- Ability to take certain government jobs
- Access to more scholarships
- Increase chance of relatives being able to immigrate
- No need to renew a citizenship like a Permanent Resident would
Having an immigration attorney on your citizenship case can improve efficiency,
reduce filing time, prevent errors, and ensure all protocol and paperwork
are correctly handled. Our New York firm has handled countless cases and
our immigration lawyers have decades of experience representing clients
seeking legal rights. We use our skills to give our clients a sense of security.
Eligibility for Naturalization in New York
In order to begin your journey with the process of Naturalization and become a citizen, you must find out if you are eligible.
Here are some requirements that you will need to fulfill for citizenship:
- Must have a green card for at least five years. If you are married it may be reduced to three years.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- You must be able to demonstrate that you can read, write, and speak English
- Basic understanding and knowledge of U.S. History and principles of the U.S. government.
- During your time as a legal permanent resident, you must have been present in the United States for at least 5 years. If you are married it can be reduced down to 18 months.
- Demonstrate good moral character (no serious criminal record)
- Take an oath of allegiance to the United States.
If you meet the requirements and are eligible to continue with the naturalization process, our immigration lawyers in New York can help you with the process. Contact Attorney Patricia Machado today!
We know that many clients don't have the time or knowledge to handle their case on their own. That is why we step in to be an advocate on their behalf. We are extremely familiar with the laws and guide them step by step through the naturalization process. We are also a Spanish-speaking office, making sure that an inability to speak English does not become a barrier to your case.